About National Blood Donor Week
The following are some of the questions we’re asked most often about National Blood Donor Week:
What is National Blood Donor Week?
- National Blood Donor Week (NBDW) runs from June 11-17, and is an annual campaign with local events to celebrate and highlight volunteer blood donors.
- National Blood Donor Week offers a weeklong opportunity to thank blood donors across the country for their selfless acts of kindness and generosity.
- Later this year, Canadian Blood Services will commemorate its 20th anniversary. National Blood Donor Week 2018 will also be a great occasion for us to thank donors from across Canada who have, over 20 years, helped make a lifesaving difference to patients in need.
What is the international Missing Type campaign?
- International awareness campaign that is part of a global movement to encourage more people to become blood donors. The letters A, B and O (the blood groups) will be removed from places of both high interest and day-to-day life in Canada and in more than 20 participating countries around the world to draw attention to the importance of giving blood.
- Canadian Blood Services’ external building signs in the following locations will be missing letters: Vancouver; Calgary; Edmonton; Saskatoon; Toronto; Ottawa; Halifax.
- Missing Type encourages Canadians to participate by learning their blood type, become blood donors and better understand the constant need for blood.
When is World Blood Donor Day?
- World Blood Donor Day is observed annually on June 14.
- 194 WHO Member States, 181 National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, and 50 national voluntary blood donor organizations and blood transfusion specialists have agreed to support World Blood Donor Day each year.
- Global awareness campaign on the importance of blood donation and how it saves lives.
What is the National Blood Donor Week Act?
- National Blood Donor Week Act is legislation that was first sponsored by Senator Terry Mercer and supported by all parties to recognize and celebrate volunteer blood donors across Canada.
- 2018 marks the 10th anniversary of the National Blood Donor Week Act.